It’s true with any renovation or restoration that the last 5% seems to take the longest time, and seems to involves so many last-minute details. This seems to hold mostly true for the bathroom at the Cottage, though being under a deadline makes it seem as though it is moving forward fairly quickly, which is nice.
Since I designed the bathroom with a short wall at the end of the tub to keep the room open, this required an L-Shaped shower curtain rod. I found one at Signature Hardware that I loved, in chrome to coordinate with the fixtures. It came without instructions, because clearly everyone knows we’re SO SMART.
Drilling through tile is always nerve-wracking. Using a ceramic bit, I held a cup of water, Doug drilled, and cooled the bit in the water as needed. This drilling job is absolutely for him, because you have to go SOOO SLOW. Oh My Goodness So Slow.
Whew. Nothing broke. Patience for the win.
I got the job of holding the bar up until the side screws were in, and it had some strength. This, I can handle.
It looks nice!
Next, we attached the ceiling support bar. It was too long, but is made to be trimmed. (How? Who knows, because there were no instructions. But we figured it out.)
There was about an 8-inch piece of ceiling support left over, and Doug handed it to me and said, “Here. Have a triangle beater.” His genius knows no bounds. So, it’s now in my band room, serving a purpose until someone loses or steal it. Upcycling at its finest!
That was Saturday. It went really well. Then, came Sunday. All I wanted was doughnuts for breakfast. And this is what I found at the store. This should have been a sign.
Since Cody, our painter from Martin Place, is moving into the Cottage, he’s been helping out some to make it go faster. When we showed up on Sunday, he was there, painting the door casings black. Because he thought that’s what I wanted, since the baseboards were black. I almost cried. Instead, I may have sworn a bit in frustration – if you know me well, the one thing I HATE is wasted time. And since we were under a deadline, all I could think was that now things were going to take longer. But, it’s just paint.
I didn’t like this at all.
So, Sunday I primed….
And got it back to white. Thank goodness.
Other tasks that were accomplished this weekend : Edgar got all the shelving in the reach-in closet in the bathroom. TWO CLOSETS in one bathroom. So lucky.
Also, it took four of us to hang this medicine cabinet. I found this ages ago at Goodwill – the moulding on the cabinet perfectly matches the mouldings in the house. For $10 and some paint (and super cute knobs), it’s a winner. And MORE STORAGE.
I’m very, very ready to do a bathroom at Martin Place now.
The shower walls needed their caps.
Some paint and marine varnish made them VERY glossy – almost a Chinese Lacquer. But hopefully they will be very water repellent!
The last project for the weekend was to hang the mirrors.
The room is feeling more and more finished by the moment!
I love the brushed silver against the walls and the Chrome fixtures. And I was really excited for find mirrors with beveled edges for $30. Such a steal. I was afraid that the wood frames had some damage from the flood, but they turned out perfect.
Obligatory renovation mirror selfie! That’s a smile of being almost DONE!